Sunday, August 12, 2012

Benefit for a cancer patient

Few weeks ago, I saw a flyer in town: Benefit supper and auction for so-and-so, Sunday, Aug. 12, all afternoon. I marked it on my calendar.

Even better, I followed through and went. The parking lot was packed. Once inside, food was plentiful and people were left standing as the auction started. The older man with Stage 4 cancer, accompanied by his wife, was seated up close to the auction action.

I've seen these local auctions where a home-baked pie may bring $5, and the bathroom faucet donated by the  local hardware shop may bring $8. Sometimes they can't give this stuff away. But this one seemed different. A blueberry pie went for $50. Some home-smoked salmon went for $40. And when the $10 gift card for Uncle Kippy's Restaurant came up, I won it for $20.

This wasn't a crowd with money. These people were the man's own extended family of cousins and everyone else who grew up alongside the family. This was a crowd filled with neighbors and friends, and lots of love.

The least I could do today was go and support the man and his family. It's just so easy to remember how wonderful and giving everyone else had been for Frank and me, back in January 2011 when our friends organized a benefit supper and auction for us. It was amazing to experience all that love and generosity back in 2011. It was amazing to see something like that all over again today, for another family in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment